Thursday, June 17, 2010

I Saw Jesus In Haiti

Jim (BK man) was nowhere to be found yesterday. I will try again today. We are keeping him in prayer and hopeful he will go to church with us on Sunday. I’ll keep you posted.
I went to Haiti with our adoption as my main purpose and the trip proved to bring clarity to what our next steps will be. (Please be praying for a smooth transfer for our babies into a licensed crèche).
But, something I saw lit a new fire in my spirit and I began to see God’s plans once again proving to be far bigger than my small mind...far bigger than my adoption.  I was reminded of the words I heard the Lord speak to my heart when we found out Gaelle would not be adoptable…“It has always been about more than one child.”

I’m hearing those words again. Yes, God has shown us more than one child with Gaelle and then the twins but that is only the beginning of the meaning of those words…the mission never ends.
I met a man in Haiti. He is a big man with a big smile and a big heart. He has praises to God on his lips and he shines the love of Jesus so brightly it’s nearly blinding…in a good way.  He has 6 children and a wonderful wife. Now, according to American standards, his house is very small…around 15x20 feet. However, in Haiti this is a pretty nice house.

Here is where I am overwhelmed at the blaring light of Jesus that shines from this man. He takes in around 33 orphans and feeds them and cares for them every day. He has tents set up outside his house for them to live in and he operates both a school and church for them to learn and grow in Christ.  
On the one hand I look on and see such love. …I see Jesus…it’s wonderful. I’m envious of this kind of Christ-likeness.

Then on the other hand I begin wondering if I would be willing to make the same kind of sacrifice. I became convicted thinking of this. If this were my story in America, people would see I had my own children to care for and only a small house to live in. They would feel sorry for me perhaps and certainly not expect to see me making a sacrifice for anyone other than my own family.
Sadly, we are surrounded by a culture that scarcely reflects Jesus. Rather than lining up our actions with the Bible, we opt for comparing ourselves to our worldly culture and end up feeling pretty good about ourselves…that is compared to others.

After seeing this man I met in Haiti, I can’t help but to recognize the stark difference of his devotion to serve our brothers and sisters in Christ vs. what I see in America...vs. my own devotion to serve Jesus.
We are prideful and fascinated with conforming to the American dream culture...blinded and attentive to the world telling us to only look after ourselves. So we do, but in the process we lose track of Jesus’ words and His light becomes barely visible.  Lord, show us your mercy and change our hearts.  We need you to save us!

So, there in Haiti lives a God fearing man who has very little and out of his very little I watched him give everything. What love is this? I’m not used to seeing this. He loves his own children and provides their real needs but doesn’t attempt to lavish them with the finer things at the risk of others dying.  Instead he takes in more children because if he didn’t they would die…children like my twin baby girls. This man is Pastor Nahum whom I’ve mentioned to you before and it is this very man who I was so privileged to meet face to face while in Haiti last week.  Through Pastor Nahum, I saw Jesus.

I am excited the Lord opened my heart to the needs of Pastor Nahum.  Pastor Nahum has a vision with the agenda of furthering the Kingdom in his Haitian community and offering hope to the orphans and, the Lord has surrounded me with a faith family who has hearts for the people of Haiti. This combination has victory written all over it.

A needy Haitian brother with a passion to spread the gospel + Texan brothers and sisters with resources and hearts to see the gospel spread to all the nations = Glory to God.
Please pray for the mission of Pastor Nahum’s ministry to have favor from God and to explode…spreading the Good News across Haiti and changing lives.  I am believing for it!  It has always been about more than one child.  Thank you my Lord!

Jesus, show us your mercy and compel us to not merely hear Your Words but to act on them. I love you, Jesus!


2 comments:

Abby said...

Oh Rochelle I have goosebumps! Well said, my friend. Thank you for this post, and all the others.

Alicia Zbylot said...

Thank you once again as you continue to challenge how I see each day. You are so correct in the comfortable life we live and the way we just continue to live blindly to the works God is doing around us. Love you!!