Monday, February 28, 2011

Haiti Intervention

I can’t even begin to scratch the surface of how Jesus has changed me over this last year through Haiti.

I just hear the word. 

Haiti.

And, just like that, my soul is overflowing with rich emotion. 

I want to make something completely clear.  My flesh likes easy just as much as the next person.  Sailing through life being pampered with all the comforts of this world appeals to my flesh in a major intense way. The latest trends of the world invite my flesh to feast in their short-lived highs and in the process offer me status and prestige in the eyes of the world.  Enticing, no doubt, and my flesh begs to participate.  I hear my flesh shouting out…“Go for it!!  Score a big fat fancy label!!  You deserve it!!” 

But while I’m entertaining the idea of stuffing my flesh with all things worldly, God displays his unfailing love and somewhere through all of the hullabaloo, I hear His soft whisper…

“ You belong to Me.  This is not your home.  What I have prepared for you eternally is greater than what the world has to offer you.  You can gain the whole world but what good is it if you lose your soul?  Don’t sell your soul.  Believe in what you can’t see.  Believe in Me.  Wait for Me.  Follow Me.  I’m returning for you soon, daughter.”

I’m not the same person I was before Haiti happened to me.  I remember back in January 2010 when God first introduced our family to Haiti.  I was like, “Really, God?  Haiti?  Can’t You do what you need to do with me right here in Texas?  Haiti is going to sort of majorly fuh-reak out some of my family members and friends.  Haiti is kind of extreme for me, God, don’t You think?"

Here’s the deal.  Sometimes extreme is needed to get the attention of stubborn, set in-their-ways, slow paced learners like me.  I can vividly remember the pre-Haiti Rochelle.  She had the bible study-church going routine down to perfection…she was pretty much the poster child of the American Christian.  But while the pre-Haiti Rochelle was flourishing in the eyes of fellow American church go-ers and meeting all of their expectations, she was lacking big time in obedience to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Pre-Haiti Rochelle was tossing too many snacks to her flesh to stop and recognize the still small voice of God.  Pre-Haiti Rochelle was neither hot nor cold…thinking she was rich but was really blind, poor, and naked…she was about to be spit out and was in desperate need of a revelation…she needed the truth Jesus gave the church of Laodicea found here.  Pre-Haiti Rochelle was a far cry from reflecting what Jesus intended for His church to look like. 

In God’s unfailing love, He finally said enough lukewarm play, and threw down a Haiti intervention on me.  Before I even realized what had happened, I found myself eye to eye and nose to nose with Haiti.  I couldn't look away even if I wanted to.  Haiti was all over me.  It hit me to the core as I stood there face to face with the least of these among the trash, ruckus, heat, cholera, and craziness. 
Wow!   
I had been so blinded to my self-indulgence.  
Never had the compassion and love of Jesus been made clearer to me...this Haiti intervention drew me straight to the feet of Jesus in repentance.    
Jesus was saying, “Now do you see them?”  “Go back and read my words in the Gospel again.”  “This is what I’m talking about.”  “My resources are to be used for the advancement of My kingdom.”  “I want you to share the plenty I have given you with these people.”   

Maybe it doesn’t take extremes like Haiti for everyone to hear the whispers.  Maybe God reserves Haiti interventions for the stubborn like me.  I don’t know.  What I do know is I’m closer to Jesus today because of it.     

Oh, I still have battles with my flesh, but since Haiti happened, I have experienced a freedom and fellowship with Jesus I refuse to ever trade for anything the world offers me. 

Haiti leaves me motivated with a relentless, unashamed passion for Jesus.  Colors, status, prestige, and labels fade.  Haiti has allowed me to experience the spiritual realm more fully…increasing my faith, hope, and expectation of the day I will see the face of my Heavenly Father.    

Jesus has done a beautiful thing in me through this Haiti intervention.  

The thought of God not intervening in my life with Haiti is too much to bear.  

I would have missed out on this....
My Raphaella and Wana:  February 2011

Wana Faith

Raphaella Grace
 And this...
my Haiti family



And this...
my Abraham


 And this...
my Nadege



And this...
my Simeon


And if I don't stop now this blog will never end!!  

Thank you Jesus for the Haiti intervention.  





3 comments:

Julie Marler (Mammy) said...

I love seeing how God has grown all of you kids that we had in high school. You were once a goofy, silly, but oh-so-fun high school clown that could make ANY of us laugh! God has put you through His chrysalis stage and you have opened into this beautiful, graceful, amazing butterfly for Him! Robin and I are so in awe at many of you that have gone on further in this walk with Jesus! Praying that God blesses you beyond all your imagination! Love you sweet girl!
Julie

Rori said...

oh my dear friend.....The HAITI intervention ! What to even say other than, I really do get it--- boy do I get it! Thank you for sharing Rochelle and blessings on your day. XOXOX - Rori

Alicia Zbylot said...

The girls are too precious. I know you are excited to get to see them.