Monday, May 31, 2010

2 Things I Hate: Bananas and Blow Drying My Hair

If you were to ask me something I hate aside from the normal things most people hate...you know, like root canals and cleaning toilets, I would say I hate bananas and blow drying my hair.  I don't know why I don't like bananas.  I give them a try about once a year just to make sure my taste buds have not changed.  It just hasn't happened for me.  I really do hate everything about bananas.
I also hate blow drying my hair.  I enjoy having someone else blow dry my hair but I hate doing it myself.  Especially in the summer.  And, I am not gifted with the kind of hair you can let air dry if you know what I mean.  Scary!

So, I get out of the shower all clean and fresh and I reach for my despised purple blow dryer.  By the time I'm finished, I feel sticky and sweaty and wonder why I even took a shower in the first place.  Then I wonder why I even bother trying to maintain such an unnecessary and dreaded task.  It's true, I admit it.  I want others to think I have pretty hair.


In Haiti I didn't have a blow dryer.  For six days and five showers I sported air dried hair.  Somehow, I didn't fret over the hideousness of my air dried hair during that week.  A pony tail here...a bandanna there...in seconds I had my crazy air dried hair disguised and was ready for more important things.  Yes, I was just as sticky and sweaty after my showers in Haiti, but not because of my own self inflicted blow dryer heat.       

It's so different in Haiti.  I like Haiti.  Things that seemed so important to me in America didn't matter at all to me in Haiti.     

I'm just saying, if I ever live in Haiti, I know other things besides blow drying my hair will be important to me.  I hate bananas and blow drying my hair.

Enough about what I hate.  Here is something I LOVE!  I love to see how God is giving my children a heart for the orphans.  I know this through hearing their sweet prayers.  Tonight Kali and Tommy both prayed. 
Tommy:   "Thank you for the twins.  I pray that you will help the formula and diapers to get to them."
Kali:   "Lord, I pray you will watch over Penniah and Gaelle and all the orphans in the world.  Pour out your blessings over Raphaella and Wanna."


Lord, I pray in agreement with my children.  Amen.




 




No comments: