Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Book Giveaway: Radical by David Platt


Falling in love with Gaelle before ever meeting her.  The whirlwind of our humanitarian parole efforts.  Finally meeting Gaelle and experiencing an incredible bond.  Discovering Gaelle is not adoptable and then going through a sense of losing her. 
Seeing real people in the worst conditions…people that were made by our Creator just like you and I…husbands, wives, children, grandparents…suffering on a level that I have never known. 

Coming home form Haiti wondering what to do.  What was the Lord doing through me in all of this? 
Looking back one month, these where some of the thoughts swirling in my mind. 

Lord, I trust you.  I will wait. 

I began to hear the Holy Spirit speak to me…“It’s always been about more than one child.”

Immediately I thought I had if figured out…Okay, Lord, even though Gaelle can’t be adopted into our family, she will always be a child we will love and treasure.  That’s one child. 
We have everything needed for an adoption so we will move forward in the process and get matched with another child.  That’s two children. 

Two days later God revealed that His plans are far bigger than mine when we received an email with pictures of twin infant girls, Raphaella and Wanna, from the pastor of their orphanage stating he wanted our family to adopt them. 
That’s three children.

This brings me to the heart of this blog…the place where God has been molding my own heart and opening my eyes to His deeper purpose and desire in this journey.  I’m so excited to share this with you all because in light of this new clarity, it’s no longer me just sharing what God is doing in my life but what He wants to do in all of our lives! 
Listen to these words again:  “It’s always been about more than one child.” 
Those words have slowly become more and more meaningful to me as the days pass.  I still very much believe it’s about Gaelle and the twins but God is showing me that it’s even bigger.  It’s so big that if for one second I go along with what seems right in my own mind, I can easily be tempted to put up boundaries.  Not around God…that’s impossible, but I can box myself in…preventing me from ever seeing the BIGGER picture God has in store.
Let me tell you about a book I am reading.  It’s called Radical by David Platt.  Two weeks ago I had never even heard of David Platt.  My friend, Melissa gave me a  blog link she thought I might be interested in following because there was a Haiti connection.   A few days after I began following this blog she posted about the book I just told you of…Radical. 
My attention was captured and I began listening to David Platt sermons online.  I was hearing about Jesus and the words Jesus speaks in the Bible, but it was different.  It was like I was being introduced to Jesus for the first time.  It was the same Jesus who has always been there.  I have just been ignoring Him. 
I wanted to read the book!!  I like to listen to sermons but I also like to see the words in print to allow them to really absorb.  I went to christianbook.com and ordered a copy.  The order is scheduled to arrive in my mailbox this Friday.  Two days ago I ended up making a trip to Mardel because I needed a few summer books for the kids.  Well, guess what I came across…sitting on display were the last two copies of Radical.  Can you see how this is about to give you the opportunity to score this book?  Yes, I bought another one right then, came home and started reading.
So, on Friday I will have an extra copy of Radical and I want you to have it!!  More on how to win at the end of this blog.

Back to those words:  
“It’s always been about more than one child.”
After reading Jesus’ words and seeing them more clearly, I can see His heart for more children to come to Him and receive His saving grace that gives eternal life.  It will always be about more children but there will be a day when it will all be too late.  This is what should drive our urgency and give us passion to reach out to the lost.  Now!    

Why was I motivated to adopt in the first place?  For that matter, why did I have biological children?  Isn’t it bigger than having a perfect little family or in our case a perfect big family?   Of course it’s bigger…as we raise our children now and as we are driven to expand our family with adoption, we long to produce godly offspring who will bring glory to the Lord.  But does it end there? 

This is where the words of Jesus begin to settle in me for what they actually say.  This is why I am beginning to see that the salvation of myself and my own children is not my only concern.  This is why as we continue to pray over Gaelle and send her love and support we know it can’t stop there.  This is why when we adopt the twins and they grow to love the Lord and ultimately accept Jesus personally, my mission will still not be complete.  I will still hear those words…”It’s always been about more than one child.”  We are all children:  Rich or poor, black or white, young or old.  God’s heart is for His Kingdom to be furthered and more children added.  He is worthy and if I’m honest, my passion for His Kingdom has not been where it should be.
      

Sure, I act with passion on my plans.  I guess you could say I am building my own earthly kingdom.  But what part am I playing in God’s Kingdom?  The everlasting, one and only Kingdom of God that will stand for eternity?  I need more passion for the things God is passionate about and I need to have a heart that truly breaks for the lost in the world…to the point where I can’t help but to move and obey Jesus‘ words.   I have felt and seen the changes He has been making in me but I long for more.  “It will always be about more than one child.” 

I want you to all read this book with an open heart surrendered in the hands of God .  I want us to all love Jesus and live out our lives for Him in a radical way!  He is worthy! 

Put your name as a comment on this blog and I will have a drawing.  We will draw the winner on Monday.  If you win I will contact you and get the book to you asap! 

Are you ready to make 2010 the year your love and passion for Jesus explodes?  I am and I want to live this life as His disciple with you along side me.  I want to see how God uses you to spread the Gospel to all creation.  And I want you to see how God uses me.  In Mark 1:15 Jesus says, “The kingdom of God is near.  Repent and believe the good news.”  I will repent and believe the good news.  I know there are many lives that need the good news…“It will always be about more than one child.”  Let’s not settle with satisfaction in our own salvation.  



12 comments:

Krystal Powell said...

Krystal Powell!! : )

chels4china said...

Chelsea Hughes

Court said...

It's so funny b/c Mel & I read the same blog and are always talking about it @ work. Then we were talking about this book and she was trying to find the link to listen to his sermons & we found them on itunes. Haven't started listening yet, but I've read so many different people's blogs @ this guy. Sounds like some "radical" things are happening in the body of Christ! Praying for you guys, Court (I know that was more than just my name - oh well! :)

melissak said...

Melissa Fritsche

Sandi said...

Sandi Quire Crawford

Melissa A Lively said...

More than my name too; but I needed to tell you how exciting adoption is!!!! Melissa A Lively

Tiffany said...

Momma Maphada ;)

Heather Skipper said...

Hey Rochelle! Can't wait to see those baby girls! Oh..and enter me in the drawing....Heather S.

Anonymous said...

Rochelle, you inspire me beyond words!!!! :) I am blessed to know you and would LOVE to put my name in the hat!! :) ~Amy Hicks

hotchocaledo said...

I, too cannot wait to meet those sweet babies of yours...
I think of you often... Can't wait to see you again.. This time we will get some GOOD chocolate...

Treats by Trish said...

Your posts always speak to my heart! Tricia Lynch :-)

Alicia Zbylot said...

If the giveaway doesn't exclude family members or friends who work for you then count me in for the drawing!!