Wednesday, May 19, 2010

INSANE!!

I am just waiting now to hear back from the agency.  They are sending one of their attorneys to the baby house where Wanna and Raphaella live to make sure this orphanage is licensed according to IBESR standards.  If it is then we have the green light to proceed.  If it’s not then we will be looking at a transfer of the twins to an orphanage that is licensed.  Obviously it will be one less hurdle if Pastor Nahum’s orphanage is already licensed…This is our prayer.

Most of our dossier as far as we know is completed.  Well, it’s not yet, authenticated, legalized and translated, but all of the tedious and monotonous compiling of all the documents…that part is basically completed, and that is a huge deal.  However, there was one part Trey and I had been putting off for some time that was needing to be done.  We need a letter from a licensed psychologist stating we are both in good mental health.  Well, some of you may be laughing quietly or even out loud to yourselves right now with comments like, “No wonder the McKinleys have put off the psychological evaluation.  They have for sure flown off the deep end.  I’m not even a psychologist and I can tell you someone trying to adopt Haitian twins when they already have 3 biological children is not sane.”  That’s cool.  In fact, I have laughed along side you and thought those same type of comments too.   I can assure you I have no judgment of any one who understandably sees our choices in this light. 
It’s only through His grace that my eyes can see the beauty of His glory and Kingdom in this call for us to adopt.   I get the real fears and I know the legitimate concerns.  I can now  recognize the times I entertain these fears and uncertainties for what they really are…moments of feeding into my flesh and seeing through my worldly eyes.  It always goes back to my faith.  The kind of faith the bible talks about in Hebrews 11:1, “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.”   Nothing is impossible for our God!

Really the procrastination of scheduling our psych evaluation was more of a financial issue than the fear of being diagnosed insane.  Last week I was able to coordinate with our insurance company to cover 80% of our evaluation so we were finally good to go.  These are the few times you feel like the money you pay to your insurance company is actually worth it.  Thanks Blue Cross Blue Shield! 

It eventually all worked out but I was a little concerned when we sat down in the lightly dimmed ‘relaxing’ room and the Dr. proceeded to ask  questions about our divorce.  She had all three of our children split up into different rooms ‘on assignment’ to draw a picture of a person, tree, house and family.  This is some fun way of gaining insight to the mental state of our kids.  It was awkward for a few moments and then we figured out she had us mixed up with another couple  she was going to interview later in the day.  Once the Dr. realized we were the adoptive family, the interview went forward very smoothly.  I was glad she wanted me to talk instead of draw a picture.  Talking is my thing.  Drawing…not so much.  We walked out feeling like we ‘passed.’  We have yet to see the written report but I’m feeling pretty confident this Dr. will approve us with good mental standing and recommend our adoption.  I am confident because she told me she was going to at the close of our interview. 

Jesus,
Help me to obey you despite the opinions of this world.  Continue to guard my ways.  Thank you for the closeness we share…may it only grow stronger each day.   If I am insane, may it be because I am insanely in love with you.  If I am crazy, may it be because I am crazy for you.  Thank you my Lord.  Amen.



No comments: