Saturday, September 25, 2010

THE PEARL INSIDE

What if our impulsive perceptions (our “worldly vision”) decreased, and our ability to see what really matters to Jesus (our “heart vision”) increased?

We don’t realize our extravagance as we compare ourselves only to the American culture we are absorbed in. 

We don’t realize we are walking in darkness. 

Our default setting is to zoom in only with our natural eyes and it all seems right to us.

To have eyes that see past the exterior and into the heart…this is a desperate need.  Lord, may You remove the scales that blind us to Your truth.  May we turn back to You and have a renewed fear and love for You.  

Haiti has not always been beautiful to me but only because I was blinded…I couldn’t see.  God’s grace has changed this. 

I agree, for the most part, Haiti lacks external beauty.  She is dressed in poor rags…swarming with poverty and scarcity…unpleasant to the sight and it’s just plain natural for one to instinctively desire removal from her. 

But please wait!!  Look deeper...

When the dirty layers of what I see in the natural are peeled back, and I begin to see with my spiritual eyes, I gain glimpses of incredible sparkling beauty…a dazzling loveliness I was once unaware of…it’s like discovering the pearl inside the seaweed covered clam shell.   

On the other hand, for the most part, America has always seemed externally stunning.  She is dressed in elegant materials…swarming with wealth and abundance…pleasant to rest the eyes upon and just plain natural for one to instinctively desire to engage with.

But please wait!!  Look deeper...

When we allow ourselves to disengage our default vision setting and enable our spiritual eyes to take over, we begin to see how sad, sick, poor, and lost she is.  The rich layers of the finer things are pulled back...selfishness and pride are exposed.  We discover we have been cheated…the ‘pearl’ we have flirted with is a fake! 

Oh to see the depths of the heart rather than the exterior…I believe this is the place we must come to if we are to ever love the ones Jesus has called us to love.  Father, give me 20/20 heart vision.  Help us see the magnificent and stunning pearls, to not be fooled by the fakes, and to extend Your love, compassion, and grace to everyone.

Only when we look with our spiritual eyes, will we see the truth...

It makes no difference which exterior one carries...there remains a common need whether it's Haiti or America...this need, whether acknowledged or ignored, is Jesus.

If we ever need You, Lord it's now. 





No comments: