Monday, October 11, 2010

The Missing Piece

Pastor Nahum's children going to the stream for water
Today I want to just share my heart about a few verses in God's Word that have really spoken to me since I returned from my last Haiti trip.
 
“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”  Matthew 25:40




The Holy Spirit is teaching me a deeper understanding of this word.  At first glance, it's clear that whatever we do for the least of these...the poor, needy, weak, the orphan...it's as though we are doing it for Jesus.  But, I never looked at the flip side...whatever we DON'T do for the least of these, we DON'T do for Jesus.  To ignore the needy is to ignore Jesus.   

Through God's tender mercy, I am discovering when I act on behalf of the least of these, I receive the missing piece of my fellowship with Jesus.  It's beautiful and I desperately want this for all of my brothers and sisters in Christ.   

“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this:  to look after the orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”  James 1:27


I've always loved this verse but this too is another instance where the Holy Spirit has recently shown me deeper understanding.  In the past I have always viewed this verse in two parts.  Number 1:  We should look after the orphans and widows in their distress.  Number 2:  We should keep ourselves from being polluted by the world. 
I no longer see this verse as 2 distinct parts.  After recently returning from Haiti, God brought clarity to this word in my heart through personal experience.  Here is what the Spirit spoke to me in this verse:  In order to keep oneself from being polluted by the world, we must look after the orphans and widows in their distress.  Or, our obedience to care for the orphans and widows results in guarding us from being polluted by world.

The two go hand in hand and God accepts this as pure and faultless religion.

If you want to keep yourself from being polluted by the world...look after the least of these...it keeps us face to face with Jesus and keeps us on paths of righteousness. 

We don't have to physically be face to face with the widows and orphans to care for them, however I encourage you all to seek opportunities to get face to face with them...you will see Jesus....you will be blow-your-mind blessed and come to the conclusion that your initial understanding that you were helping them was ridiculous...it will quickly become clear that they are helping you as they provide you the chance to fill the missing piece of your fellowship with Jesus as you love on them.  You will pray with all your heart that they receive at least a fraction of the blessing you gain from a relationship with them.  

But, as I just said, there are ways to care for the widows and orphans even when we are not physically up close and personal with them all the time. We can help with their great financial needs and most importantly through our sincere sacrifice of prayer...we can continually be impacting the lives of the least of these.  

If God has softened your heart through the stories I have shared of Pastor Nahum and his orphans in Haiti over these last several months, I encourage you to begin praying for them...keep yourself from being polluted by this world....Pray for health, strength, and godly wisdom for Pastor Nahum as he lives out the Gospel in Haiti.   


Pray for the 12 orphans he has living in tents.
 Pray they will always have food for their tummies and soon be provided with a real roof over their heads.  Pray Papa Nahum has the means to keep his feeding program alive and feed the 33 plus children of his village whose parents have nothing to offer them. 

I am having to contain my excitement and be patient as I'm still a few weeks away from having a link to  debut Pastor Nahum's ministry with opportunities for you to be apart of this amazing journey.  God has blessed me with precious sisters and brothers in Christ who have joined me in this effort to be a voice for Pastor Nahum...let's brace ourselves now because I can feel the hand of God moving in this and it's going to be magnificent!  I hope you will seek the face of God in this yourself...I can't wait to have you join me in reaching the least of these in the name of Jesus!

May the grace of the LORD Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all!!      

No comments: